1) "The universe just defied its laws to pinch me." ~Emily Murphy
2) "My job is to swipe meal cards. Oh, and chase down football players who steal food." ~Cat Chandler
3) I recently realized that I say "I'm sorry" way more than I should. What bothers me is not that I don't mean it; it's that I shouldn't mean it as much as I do mean it. If that makes sense. Everything can't be all my fault. Surely the odds are against that. Of course I also use the phrase when I'm accidentally offensive or at least when I perceive that I might have been. I use it loosely to express regret or empathy when someone is experiencing problems or inconveniences of some sort. I say all this to get to the finer point: When I said "I'm sorry" yesterday (probably three times in a 20 second period, all to do with the same moment), a 23-month-old girl repeated what I'd said, and in a sad, self-defeated tone that I didn't realize I'd used. She said it more than once. I never want to hear that again. It broke my heart, coming from a voice of innocence. I said to her, "Oh, sweetie, don't say that," but the only way I can make sure she doesn't is to choose my own words more carefully.
4) Jeff: "What are you doing?" Me: "Nothing." Jeff: "Nothing?! Why are you doing nothing?" "Me: "I don't know. (Pause) What do you want me to be doing?" Jeff: "I don't know. Whatever." After this, I felt awkward (guilty?) for doing nothing and found something to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment