1) In protest of racial lines, my friend Tim says that underneath our skin, we're all red meat.
2) "I'm a vegetarian. But I do eat bacon." ~~Quote from a friend of a friend (I know roughly a half-dozen vegetarians, and oddly enough bacon seems as much missed as chicken. Very few miss beef.)
3) The Eggbeaters slogan: Unbeatable. That could be read positively, but I wonder if the public wants "unbeatable" eggs. Kind of an odd conundrum.
4) Fake meat. I know this isn't new or even that extraordinary. But I'm still intrigued. I eat veggie burgers sometimes. I even tried "Smart Bacon," which I thought would grow on me eventually, but in the end I deemed it eternally disgusting. You can get fake chicken patties, fake sausage, and even fake crumbled meat for stews and soups. The ingredient lists in these substitutes are often massive, the "chik patties" ingredients, for example, filling a 2" x 1.5" space (very tiny font). And although the "chik patties" are also labeled "veggie patties," only roughly 2 percent of the ingredients have anything to do with vegetables. (Yes, I have a box in my fridge at this moment.) I'm picturing the "chefs" in the labs/test kitchens scrambling to recreate the chicken sandwich, the hamburger, the slices of bacon, the sausage patty, etc. without the meat. And I'm wondering . . . are there any vegetarians out there who have always been vegetarians? If so, are they eating this faux meat (meat analogues)? Or is it just the former meat eaters buying this stuff up, trying to fill an absence.
No comments:
Post a Comment