Response to Brett's "Oddity" Post:
You're right! Gatlinburg is the kitsch capital . . . and certainly the goody-two-shoes relative of Las Vegas. You made smart use of specifics in your post--The Donut Friar, The Happy Shack, and my personal favorite, Cupid's Chapel of Love. Even if I hadn't been there before, I could conjure up a telling image of what to expect should I make the drive. And without saying what a Gatlinburg vacation says about its patrons, you do a nice job of showing us. It's funny because when I think of going to the mountains, I think of spending time in nature. But Gatlinburg, seemingly uncomfortable with its association with nature, promises a kind of steroid-induced culture, a kind of hyperbole culture designed to claim the cash of the bored. Maybe when you swing to an uncanny connection, you could bring in the fake snow and transition to the downplayed beauty that the town attempts to distract from. What do the kitsch and bright lights keep us from seeing?
No comments:
Post a Comment